Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sometimes People Amaze Me...

Okay, I know I have said that before, but THIS time it is in a GOOD way believe it or not.

Rat Man and I have struggled this past year, just as everyone else has. Sometimes just keeping the electric on has been tough. And paying the rent has been even harder.

We got behind several months ago and have worked and worked to get caught up. I took the part time job that I now have to get us caught up on everything, and hopefully after that happens I can return to school. But for now, it is just paying the bills we have NOW and helping to catch up on the things we have been behind on.

As far as the rent goes, for several months before I got my job, we were paying bits and pieces here and there and getting further and further behind. And still I have been just giving it to them in bits and pieces and working so hard to catch it all up. And finally, I gave them the money a few days ago that we owed them and caught us up completely.

We have lived here for a long time. We don't ask them for a lot, we keep the yard mowed, the house clean, and basically if something small needs fixing, Rat Man fixes it. We don't bother them with every little thing. We just take care of things ourselves.

When the wife came by to get the rent, I gave her the money and she said, "Just a second, I need to go talk to Sam, I will be right back. He wanted to tell you something."

She walked out to one of their FIVE new vehicles and she was out there for some time. Finally she came back.

"You guys have been GREAT renters...." she started out saying. My heart dropped to my feet. Here it comes, I thought....we are getting our asses thrown out.

"Oh, no, no we aren't kicking you out!" She exclaimed when she saw the look that must have been written all over my face.

"We want to do something FOR you," she says. "For December's rent, we are going to take $250 off. Just our way of saying 'Merry Christmas' and to thank you for working so hard to get caught up and for being such good renters."

I was dumbstruck. I just stood there sputtering, "You don't have to do that, but that is really nice of you, I mean, thanks..." I must have sounded like an idiot.

Now, I am the kind of person that knows, if a bill is owed, it is owed and the person to whom it is owed, doesn't care why you can't pay it. So you keep your mouth shut and do it. You don't whine to the electric company when they are threatening to shut off your power, you simply make whatever arrangements you can, if they won't make any, then you find a way to take care of it. You don't piss and moan and try to get them to feel sorry for you. First of all, that won't work. Second of all, they don't care.

It is like my landlords. They live in a million dollar home, have 5 new cars,; in other words they have money. Lots of money. But just because they do, and they don't technically NEED my money, that doesn't mean I shouldn't pay my rent. It doesn't mean that I don't owe them that each and every month. And when we got behind, I didn't make excuses, I didn't whine and try to get them to feel sorry for us, I simply told them how it was, and did the best I could. And when I said, "I will have $200 of it on Thursday", then I MADE SURE that I DID have the $200 ON Thursday. I did what I said I would do. And I worried every step of the way. It would keep me awake at night.

I have always taught my girls that no matter what they should do a good job. Whether it is cleaning their house or at their job, or whatever. I firmly believe when you have a job to do, you do it right the first time. That is the way Ratman is and that is the way that I am. BUT I have also taught them that no one will ever pat them on the back for doing what they are supposed to do and for doing it right. Just not going to happen. HOWEVER, they WILL jump your ass for the things you DON'T do or for things you DON'T do right. Again, that is just he way it works. So they should just expect that. Do your job, do it right and don't expect anyone to notice. Period.

Anyway, I guess what I am trying to say is, we live in a world where people simply don't care if you are having a hard time. That is just the way it is. But sometimes, people will still do nice things for you just because you have done your best to do the right thing. They DO notice. Even though that is the exception to the rule, I guess it DOES happen.

And that feels good. It makes you feel appreciated.

2 comments:

Mr. Mcknob said...

That's cool! ..... Can I borrow $200? LOL. I'm glad something good happened to you. It is rare theese days.

kandi-itsmyblog said...

Sure Mr. McKnob, stand outside by the mailbox until it arrives. And send me photos of you doing that every day!

Yeah, in a world where you have to jump through hoops, beg and plead, bribe or whatever to get your electric bill extended or get a late charge removed when you totally FORGOT to pay something, it is VERY nice when someone does something nice for you out of the blue.

Makes you feel all warm and squishy.

I'll be watching for those photos of you by the mailbox :op