Sunday, November 16, 2008

Family Sucks

My great-neice has a birthday on the 25th. Her younger sister has hers in June.

Ever since the day they were born, I normally get them BOTH something on both birthdays. That is just what great-aunts do. And I love them beyond reason.

This Sunday we have to go to my mothers for "Thanksgiving" (don't EVEN get me started on that) so I am going to give them their gifts then. (I got them each a pair of Mammoth Crocs and they are PINK and too cute for words!)

I was getting ready to wrap them when it dawned on me that if I give my great-neices their gifts, then I should really have something for my neice (not their mother, HER sister, their aunt, she is 12), and then I thought if I got her something then I really should get something for my 2 nephews, even though they are teenagers and probably wouldn't have even thought about it. Soooo today I went shopping.

When I got home I was thinking about the fact that I had gotten them all gifts. And you know what? Neither my sister NOR my brother has EVER bought my children a birthday gift. As far as I know they have never bought anything for each other's kids either, but you know, that is beside the point. I have bought lots of things for my neices and nephews over the years.

Family just sucks.

There is a great line on "The Wedding Date" that I just love. Debra Messing and Dermot Mulroney are on the plane on the way to the event and she says to him "You know how some families are crazy, but at the end of the day you love them because they are your family?", to which he nods and she says, "Mine aren't like that."

Yep, just about sums it up.


---

1 comments:

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

That's almost up there with my "friends" who always invite my kids to their kid's B-day parties, but NEVER come to MY kids parties. I heard that we "brought really nice gifts." Assholes. So we showed up at the party giftless last year. Guess who wasn't invited THIS year. I can't believe the audacity (sp?) of some people. I seriously wouldn't bat a friggin eye if someone came to my kid's party without a gift, much less keep track!

Alrighty then. Thanks for letting me rant on your rant!!

So, in a nutshell.. I feel ya!