Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cranky Pet Peeves

I am cranky today (I know; VERY hard to believe. Maybe it isn't just today; maybe I am just a bitch. Hmmmm...) and I just thought I'd let you know what bugs me. Of course this is only a small sampling of what bugs me; the real list is totally and completely endless. Really it just depends on what day it is. That will usually determine what is bugging me at the moment. So I thought I would start you off small, 'cause you don't want to have all your fun at once.

I know I get irritated sometimes at things that, in the whole scheme of things, really shouldn't matter, but to me, they do. So if you don't like it, bite me (and I mean that in the nicest way. NOT.).

One of the things that drives me crazy is misuse of grammar (I would rather hear someone drop the f-bomb than use the word "ain't"; seriously.), and then there is misspelling or using the wrong word when you mean something else.

For example (you knew that was coming didn't you), when I am on a BUSINESS site and I see the word "separate" spelled "seperate". Or when they are in the process of updating or something and instead of saying "bear with me" (which of course means, be patient, BEAR the BURDEN with me) they put "BARE with me". Ummmm that means let's get naked together. Nope. Don't think so. Or when they mean to make something a PLURAL and they give it an apostrophe. You know, like instead of putting "blogs" meaning "more than one blog" they put "blog's" which means that something BELONGS to the blog. I see that one ALL THE TIME.

One of the things that drives me REALLY crazy is the misuse of "they're, there and their". I won't even go into that one, I think it is pretty self explanatory.

BUT the #1 thing that drives me TOTALLY nuts is the misuse of the phrase "I couldn't care less". Most people say "I COULD care less" which actually means that you DO CARE. Think about it. If you COULD care less then that means you care somewhat. You might as well say "Oh, I care so much about that!" However, the REAL phrase is "I couldn't care less"; i. e. you could not care any less than you do at that moment. That makes sense, because you are simply saying "I don't give a shit", but in a nice way. That misuse absolutely grates (and NO, it is NOT GREATS!!!) on my nerves. Really bad. Really, really, really bad.

And don't even get me started on the use of the word "ammonia" for "pneumonia" (yes, I DO know someone who says that! I am in Arkansas, people), or for someone to say "worsh" for "wash" (again, Arkansas!), or to even utter the word "dang". Or how about someone who sends you an email with no punctuation and capitalization? ARGH!

Okay, sorry, you can go back to what you were doing. I'm better now.



----

1 comments:

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

I HATE it when people say "mininum", rather than "minimum". It drives me bat shit crazy. My boyfriend says it. Sigh. It makes him sound so uneducated! (He's not!)

Write now, (Kidding) Right now, I'm trying to convince my son it's "spaghetti" not, "pazgetti".

PS - I say "ain't" a lot. I'll kick myself in the arse when my kids start saying it! Oops!