Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

-
In a world where so many HAVE forgotten, I won't. I will fly my flag on this day (as I did today), I will weep again (as I did today), and I will remember what this day was like for so many 8 years ago.

I will always remember driving down the main 5 lane highway in the middle of my city and seeing exactly 2 other cars. I will always remember going to Wal Mart and seeing the looks of pain and abject horror on the faces of others. I will remember the red eyes of the man who looked my way with a wan smile when I rounded the corner with my cart and met him face to face. He was wearing a gray t-shirt with the American Flag emblazoned on the front. And I will always remember how quiet it was in that store. I was so silent. In Walmart.

I will remember, because it is a dishonor to the over 8,000 people (I am not sure of the exact number, I am just trying to guess from the toll on that day and the war) that have died (both on that day and since) if we do NOT remember.

This is my country. It may not be perfect, but it is all we have. And it changed so much on that day. At least to some of us it did.

So I will remember, and I hope you will too.
-

0 comments: