Monday, September 14, 2009

R.I.P. Patrick Swayze 1952-2009

I have a Dirty Dancing poster hanging on my bedroom wall (and I am 39 years old). It is framed and when I sit on my bed with my laptop I can see it, and I love it.

I have a Dirty Dancing screensaver and wallpaper on my computer.

I once watched that movie 6 times in one day. (It was the 20th anniversary and they showed it for 24 hours straight on Bravo.)

I am in the process of re-watching North and South. It is weird that you died while I was.

I could watch Ghost over and over, and I know you fought for that part because it touched your heart.

You were my hero because when a little girl with down's syndrome wanted to meet you after you made Dirty Dancing, you got on a plane and you went to meet her. And you danced with her. And you made her smile. I remember how she hugged you so hard.

You were my hero because you were never a STAR. You were an actor and a dancer and you were amazing.

You were my hero because you fell in love with your highschool sweetheart when you were 19 and she was 15 and stayed married to her for 34 years. In Hollywood that is not just amazing, it is a miracle.

Rest in peace Mr. Swayze.

You will ALWAYS be my hero.

2 comments:

Lana@The Kids Did WHAT?! said...

Awe. That's a great tribute! Yes, he was a "normal" human being who happened to have a very "in the spotlight" career.
I remember watching the movie Red Dawn about 2 months before watching Dirty Dancing. I was in awe. I was so young but had an instant crush. :)

Lori in Phx said...

RIP Patrick - you will be sorely missed. God bless you Lisa - may you find peace in his peace...