Sunday, April 11, 2010

Let's Talk Movies.....

Okay I know I'm no movie critic, but I don't understand why some movies "tank" at the box office or people find them horrible, so they don't go and see them or won't even rent them on DVD. I have 3 in mind in particular that I actually like and when I watch them (usually over and over) I just don't get what went wrong in the minds of the critics or in the minds of people that have seen them and either didn't "get" it, or just didn't like them.

Now there are some that I cannot stand. The fact that they "tanked" is totally understandable. Some of them did okay at the box office and I am confused. Some of them didn't and they deserved it.

Let's start with Spiderman 3. Okay, the first 2 were good. I liked them. No problem. but the third one? Too many villians, a contrived plot and forced story line. I was exhausted after watching it because there were just way to many things going on all at the same time. It ran too long and was just stressful to watch.

Now let's move on to Red Dawn. I LOVE Patrick Swayze. In my eyes he was a god. He was my hero. But Red Dawn again was a forced, contrived plot, not in any way believable. The acting wasn't even that great. Overall it just didn't do it for me.

Now let's talk about Godzilla. O-M-G. This was the movie that would not end. It was the monster that WOULD NOT DIE. I could go on and on about how long and boring and contrived this one was, but for those of you that suffered through it, I will spare you anymore stress.

And now on to the newest one 2012. Okay, how can one family be THAT lucky? I mean come on! And predictable? It didn't take a genious to figure out who was gonna die, who was gonna be the hero in the end, etc. etc. etc. The special effects were passable, but WOW. SNOOZE.

Now, there are three movies that I want to talk about that I like. And the funny thing is, they didn't go over well with critics and/or with audiences, and I have never been able to understand why.

The first one is Overboard. Okay, so what is so bad about this movie? I mean I can't see going the theater to watch it, but I actually own in on DVD and watch it often. Why? Because it is freakin' funny. I just don't get it. The acting is pretty good, the plot moves along in the right directions. I mean you have to have certain elements that run together in a straight line that make a movie work. You have character intro, character development, plot development, conflict, and then resolution. It all runs in that line, doesn't feel forced, it develops and it wraps up. I mean, whatever....

The second one I want to talk about is Groundhog Day. I don't think people "GET" this movie. It is about growth. You can see a lot of things in this movie. First of all, you can see the steps of grief. When someone dies, we go through steps: Denial, Selfishness, Bargaining, Anger, Depression, Acceptance. It is the same thing if you suffer from any type of trauma. This movie is about that. It is about having a problem, going through the steps, surviving the problem and coming out the other side a better person. Who can't see that? I think it is genious personally. Some people see a guy "doing the same things over and over for 10 years". I see a guy who is growing, changing, adapting, and accepting. It is an eye opener and for anyone going through any crap in their lives it can be uplifting and even helpful. I have heard counselors say they have recommended this movie to their patients to help them go through whatever it is they are going through. So yeah, someone sees the point besides me.

And last, but not least is i Robot. What in the world is so bad about this movie? Even though it is Sci-Fi Fantasy, it has believability. And that is what all Sci-Fi/Fantasy has to have. You have to believe it COULD happen. I think it has to have the "What if" factor. The special effects are good, the acting is good, the plot is good, so what is the problem? I just don't see the bad parts, but apparently I am missing something somewhere. Remember those development parts I mentioned in Overboard? They happen in this movie too. I just don't get what is so bad about it.

I know I am just one person, never been to film school, know nothing about movie reviewing, but I can tell you if a movie is "flowing" or not, just on instinct. If it doesn't wear me out trying to find the plot line, doesn't have 3 or 4 plots running simultaniously, possesses "believability", makes you laugh, or makes you think, and doesn't totally put you to sleep, then how is that bad?

I mean there are people that actually LIKED Idiocracy!!! What IS this world coming to?

Okay, I will shut up now. This was just something on my mind, because I read today that they are thinking of "remaking" the movie Overboard and are thinking of putting in Jennifer Lopez. GAG. So it made me think about some of these movies and how some of them didn't deserve the bad reviews they got; and how some of them DID. There are others, but I will spare you any more opinions.....

You're welcome.

0 comments: